Minden Press-Herald

Thursday
Oct 02nd

Court denies Ingram request

10-19_ingram_copyThe highest court in the state has turned down a request for consideration of a manslaughter conviction and prison sentence.

Bobby Ingram, who was convicted in the October 2006 shooting death of his ex-wife, Kim Ingram, petitioned the Louisiana Supreme Court after the Second Circuit Court of Appeal upheld the conviction and sentence in June.

In March, 2011, the state Supreme Court reversed a ruling by the Second Circuit Court of Appeal that may have granted Ingram a hearing for a new trial. Ingram had appealed his conviction and sentence to the Second Circuit, urging several assignments of error.

The Court of Appeal addressed only whether the trial court erred in summarily denying the defendant's motion for a new trial, based in part on allegations of juror misconduct occurring during deliberation.

The defense contended that one of the jurors left the courthouse during a courtroom lunch break, went to a residence armed with a baseball bat and threatened her boyfriend, who was with another woman. The juror then returned to the courthouse where she shared her experience with fellow jurors.

When the Court of Appeal set aside that ruling and ordered an evidentiary hearing on the issue, Bossier-Webster District Attorney Schuyler Marvin took the ruling to a higher authority.

"We took a writ to the Supreme Court, and they granted our writ and told the Court of Appeal 'you're wrong and we're not going to have a hearing over that. Now go address the other assignments of error that were complained about,'" Marvin said.

The Supreme Court of Louisiana denied the most recent request last week.

Ingram was sentenced November 30, 2009 to 28 years imprisonment at hard labor and has been in prison since that time.

 

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Facebook

Who's Online

We have 1177 guests online