Minden Press-Herald

Oct 01st

Jury eyeing 80-20 split on employee insurance plans

The Webster Police Jury is examining options regarding its insurance policies and the portion parish employees must pay toward monthly premiums.

Jurors have asked for a meeting with Blue Cross representatives before the first of the year to weigh all options in these "tight times," as Jury President Charlie Walker describes.

One option is that the parish adopts an 80-20 split, with the parish picking up 80 percent of the insurance costs and leaving the other 20 percent to the employee. Currently, the parish pays 100 percent of the premium for a single employee. For full family coverage, the employee only has to pay $100.

"We are probably the only government entity in the state that pays that well for their employees insurance," Walker said. "Sometimes the sun and moon changes and you got to change with it. These are very tight times."

The insurance discussion stems from uncertainty regarding the new federally mandated healthcare overhaul. Walker said there is confusion at all levels, and that's why he wants to visit with Blue Cross reps before the jury takes any action.

"We just need to be more educated about what's going to happen," he said.

Any changes to the parish's insurance policy would not affect current employees but rather be limited to new hires.

The jury hopes to make a decision before the first of the year.






Who's Online

We have 1409 guests and 1 member online