Poisonous snakes can show up and zap you with no warning and sometimes with dire consequences.
Item: Lavon Chandler reached for a stick of firewood recently and was bitten on the finger by a big copperhead. Chandler spent several days in intensive care.
Item: Dr. James Dickson, head of LA Tech's wildlife programs, was checking a trap for endangered pine snakes. As he reached into the trap, a copperhead nailed him on a finger. Fortunately, having a cell phone handy and alerting medical authorities quickly resulted in a swollen sore finger for a few days with no lasting effects.Subscribe to Read!